Sunday, December 14, 2008

Missionary Christmas

We just walked in the door after a blessed evening.  First Baptist in Portage has a marvelous tradition of having a missionary in during December and having an evening dedicated to giving them Christmas gifts.  The entire church participates.  

This year we had Michael and Katrina Geurink and their four children.  The Geruinks are ABWE missionaries to the upper Amazon in Brazil.  We had a carry-in meal and had time to just talk and get to know Mike and Katrina.  Then Mike presented his ministry for us. To see his heart for these Indians that need the Savior encouraged me.  He told of one couple that had labored as Wycliffe missionaries for 55 years to translate the Bible into the language of the these people.  He was so excited that he could step into this ministry and have a Bible to share and a written language to teach in.  Had that been the end I would have left having been blessed by God.  But there was more.  We had a whole pile of presents on the platform and the Geurinks sat down and opened the gifts.  My heart was stirred as I watched the excitement of the kids and the thankful hearts of the parents as they opened gift after gift.  

Tonight as I write this my heart is so full.  First from the blessing of seeing a young couple sold out for the Lord to take the Gospel to unreached people groups.  Mike's presentation moved me to tears.  Second I am blessed to have such a loving church family that knows how to share their love for others in tangible, special ways.  
Both these blessings remind me of God's tremendous love in sending his Son as a gift to us to reach all the world, of of us were onetime an unreached people.  All I can say is praise be to God on High.

I urge you to pray for this young couple returning for their second term as missionaries.  Pray for their support, pray for their health, pray for their safety.  Most importantly pray for their ministry to souls that need the Savior.  

No comments:

I review for Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers

Facebook Badge